When students enter Our Lady of Mercy, they are randomly assigned to one of our four houses — Lourdes, Guadalupe, Fatima, Kibeho — with siblings being placed in the same house.
Each house is further broken into five families which meet regularly to discuss relevant issues and upcoming events. Each family is headed by a family mentor from Mercy's faculty and staff.
BENEFITS FOR STUDENTS
• Being a part of a smaller community helps new students acclimate quickly to their school environment and experience an immediate sense of belonging.
• Students have a true faculty mentor.
• It allows students to have an opportunity to interact with students from all grade levels.
• It increases opportunities for student leadership.
• It allows students to participate in a variety of activities that are non-academic and non-athletic.
• It is a great way to know more people outside of the classroom setting.
• It can be a source of positive peer-pressure and motivation that can have a positive effect in the classroom.
• Marquee events bring more fans to athletic and fine arts events.
• Studies show that schools with House systems have happier students and have more school spirit than they did before a House system was implemented.
Houses compete against each other for points by attending fine arts and sporting events (called Marquee Events), making the honor roll, receiving the fewest detentions as a house, etc. Students may also represent their houses in tournaments that we will have during pep rallies, at Field Day, and other tournaments organized throughout the year.
A “House of the Month” is determined each month based on an accumulation of points, and a “House of the Year” is designated for overall points earned throughout the year.
House of the Year
She Came, They Saw, Together…We’ll Conquer
Our students chose the phrase “She Came, They Saw, Together We’ll Conquer” as their motto for our house system. This is a play on the Latin phrase, “Vini, Vidi, Vici” spoken by Julius Caesar in 47 BC. It translates as "I came, I saw, I conquered." Caesar used the sentence when he was talking to the Roman senate describing his recent victory over Pharnaces II in the Battle of Zela, a town in contemporary Turkey.
However, as Julius Caesar was a formidable warrior in pre-Christian times, he is simply no comparison to the real conqueror, Jesus Christ, who was born just 47 years after Caesar spoke these words. Christ was literally able to conquer the paegan world that Caesar was so fond of.
Throughout the ages, Our Lord has sought to spread his message to the world often using Mary, His Mother, as his chosen vessel to appear to the faithful. It is in this context that our motto is:
She Came: (Mary appeared)
They Saw: (Juan Diego of Guadalupe, Bernadette of Lourdes, the children of Fatima and the children of Kibeho)
We’ll Conquer: (We, the community of OLM, will conquer this secular world.)