The Our Lady of Mercy Mathematics department provides a college preparatory program of study, which fosters the development of problem solving skills, critical thinking skills, and logical reasoning accomplished through a careful combination of traditional Catholic educational philosophies and the instructional practices and technology of the present time. The diversity and depth of instruction given expose both the practicality and the beauty of mathematics and encourage continued independent study and exploration.
1. The mathematics curriculum should include the refinement and extension of methods of mathematical problem solving.
2. The mathematics curriculum should continue to develop the language and symbolism needed to communicate mathematical ideas.
3. The mathematics curriculum should reinforce and extend logical reasoning skills.
4. The mathematics curriculum should include investigations of the connections and interplay among various mathematical topics and their application.
5. The mathematics curriculum should include the study of mathematical structure so that students appreciate the seemingly different mathematical systems may be essentially the same.